Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Two Suns

I find myself surrounded by trees in autumn. The sky is lit up like fire, and all above me there are golden clouds, burning; though I can hardly see beyond the dense forest of reds and yellows. The sunlight, like liquid, submerges everything below it in a shimmery gold color.

Red and orange leaves cushion the lush forest floor, as the yellow of the sunlight merges with the color of the trees. I stand in the middle of a pathway amidst the scene.


A sidewalk stretches seemingly endlessly in a straight line either direction. Behind me, there are mountains; ahead, a large expanse of water. For reasons beyond my comprehension, the sidewalk is untouched by the falling leaves of the forest... Yet immediately beyond the pathway the forest grows wild, burning neon with the transition of summer to winter; of daylight, to nighttime.

Breathing in the air, I am comforted by the familiar taste of ocean air, and of woodland forest. The breeze is soft and playful, blowing unpredictably in any direction that it chooses. I close my eyes and feel the subtle pull of my hair and clothes being completely at the whim of the changing airs.

There are two others people with me; three. Behind me, they are emerging from a building, walking on the sidewalk. The building is coming out of the mountain, and is constructed of white stone. Columns line its entrance, and it is quietly elegant; hidden by the fiery forest and its leaves as its sidewalk stretches outwards.

I recognize the two others who are walking with me. One is my maternal grandfather, who has often walked with me in dreams. And finally, my youngest brother is walking too.

As Miles approaches, we join hands, and walk forwards, as the other two continue to walk behind me.

Nearing the shore of what looks like an ocean, I notice a puddle of water to the left of the path, and break off. The others watch what I am doing for a moment, hesitating before joining. I walk over by the edge of the small pond, pull out my camera, and take a picture, revelling in the beauty of the colors playing upon eachother; reds upon oranges and yellows, with the sunset in the background.

To my surprise, I notice something when I am reviewing the pictures… It appears that instead of just one sun in the sky, there are two suns; two stars.


I gasp, and let the others know, pointing. We look at the sunset in amazement, perplexed at the two stars burning in the sky (The sun is technically a star, and so I thought of the scene as such).

Little did we know that earlier, the view of the two suns was obscured by the denseness of the forest. We could not see the breathtaking sight amidst the visual noise of our immediate surroundings.

As we each walk further down the sidewalk, we find ourselves at the shore of an ocean. The sidewalk continues outwards in a straight line, but we step off the sidewalk; this time standing on the light, soft sand of the ocean.

We watch the two suns in the sky, burning with the time of transition; as they light up the sky in a fiery vision of the impossible becoming possible.

I am filled with a great sense of spaciousness, of peace, as the vision comes to a close.


No comments:

Post a Comment